Ayurvedic Treatment for Children’s Health (Pediatric)
Ayurveda is one of the most unique and effective forms of healthcare for children. Ayurveda uses herbal preparations mostly but the efficacy of these preparations is not less than allopathic medicines. Ayurvedic treatment develop and enhance the immune system of kids in a gradual manner. Ayurvedic remedies are effective for common problems of children like pains of colic, teething, nappy rash, cough and cold as well as for more serious problems. Herbal oil massage, herbal preparations such as Chyavanprasha other herbal remedies are used for treatment of diseases in kids.
Ayurvedic Healthcare for Kids
The branch of Ayurveda, known as Bala Tantra or Kaumarabhritya, deals with care of children. It includes care of the newborn, infant feeding, clinical examination, dentition, management of childhood diseases, and principles of treatment and therapies in children. Management of childhood ailments in Ayurveda is based on their etiopathogenesis, signs and symptoms, and possible complications
Most of the ayurvedic herbs, and herbal compounds can be safely used in most cases of common childhood illnesses.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Colic and Constipation
- Several Ayurvedic herbs and formulas are known to be quite effective for constipation in toddlers and children. These include Triphala churna, Sat isabgol, Gandarva haritaki ,or Avipattikara churna. Consult an ayurvedic practitioner before starting a remedy. The ayurvedic practitioner usually chooses the one that is most appropriate for the overall condition and constitution of the child.
- Herbal formulas effective for colic and other intestinal disorders are Eladi churna and Hingwastak churna. Give your child about one third the normal adult dosage, and even less for infants. Starting the remedy after consultation with an ayurvedic practitioner is advisable.
- Diet modification it considered important for treatment of ailments in Ayurveda. If your child has constipation, foods that have a natural laxative effect such as soaked raisins or dates, honey, bran, sesame seeds, mango, papaya, grapes, and fresh figs are useful. Give your child liberal amount of water, high quality oils, and plenty of high fiber foods for prevention of constipation.
Ayurveda for treatment of Colds and Fever
Ayurvedic Medicines are effective in treating cold and fever, and for supporting and strengthening your child’s immune system.
- Common Ayurvedic remedies for cold, flu, and upper respiratory infections are Sanjivani guti, Tribuvankirti ras, Sitopaladi churna, Talisadi churna, and Lavangadi vati.
- Home remedies such as warm ginger tea, Tulsi tea are helpful for soothing cough, sore throat, cold and decongesting the sinuses.
- Ayurvedic compound Mahasudarshan is very useful in fevers. As it has a very bitter taste it is best given in tablet form, in doses of 250 to 500 mg with warm water. An effective home remedy for lowering fever in children is rubbing fresh onion juice to the child’s navel region while applying a cool cloth to the forehead to protect the brain.
Caution: There are several useful Ayurvedic herbs and home remedies for children. Most of these remedies are safe and very effective in children when used skillfully, constitutionally, and in appropriate doses. Any strong herbal based medicine should be used under care of a professional Ayurvedic practitioner.